Flights available from LHR to SEA for c£500 end of Aug /start of Sep for two weeks – awesome! US Road Trip here we come!!
Flight will hopefully be in by lunchtime, giving a half-day plus a full day to wander in Seattle before heading for Olympic NP.
- Seattle Art Museum – $19.50 – open till 9pm on a Thursday (5pm other days), closed Mon-Tue
- Asian Art Museum – $9.00 – open till 9pm on a Thursday (5pm other days), closed Mon-Tue
- Olympic Sculpture Park – free – open 30mins prior to sunrise, closes 30mins after sunset
- Eating options include – Wild Ginger, Dahlia Lounge, Il Corvo & Din Tai Fung
- Shopping stops include – Patagonia, Columbia, REI & Sub Pop Records
- Chihuly Garden & Glass – if time permits I’d love to wander this amazing exhibition again
- Transport around Seattle
- Info for catching ferry to Bainbridge Island from Seattle
Port Angeles (3nghts)
After catching the ferry to Bainbridge Island it’s about 1.5hrs to Port Angeles, so plenty of time to stop at Port Gamble and for a wander out along Dungeness Spit before again enjoying the spectacular drive into Port Angeles – a breathtaking sight when I was here three years ago.
- Hiking from Hurricane Ridge, map of Waterfall Trails, hike to Shi Shi Beach & Point of Arches – pass purchased in Neah Bay for hikes on Makah Indian Reservation
- Other possible hiking trails – Klahhane Ridge Trail, Lake Angeles Trail, Wolf Creek Trail, Hurricane Hill Trail & Sunrise Ridge Trail
- Somewhere for dinner after long days on the trails – Michael’s, Downriggers & The Bushwhacker
- Visit La Push and the Quileute Nation – hiking to 2nd & 3rd beach or nearby Rialto Beach
- Possible accommodation – Flagstone Motel, Days Inn (spent 4nghts here back in July 2012 $517) & All View Motel
Having driven the west side of Olympic NP, past the spectacular beaches, you arrive at Aberdeen – birthplace of Kurt Cobain and the Memorial Park is surely worth a visit and there is a Museum of History.
- Museum of Glass – $15.00 – open till 5pm and the Chihuly Bridge of Glass
- Washington History Museum – $11.00 – open till 5pm
- Tacoma Art Museum – $14.00 – open till 5pm
- Food & drink possibilities – Engine House No. 9, Harmon Brewing Co, Northwest Brewing Company & Tacoma Brewing Co
- Possible accommodation – Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, Days Inn Tacoma Mall, Extended Stay America Tacoma Hotel & Comfort Inn Tacoma
St Mary, Glacier National Park (3nghts)
Good day of driving, 8.5hrs & 500 miles, from Ellensburg. A leg-stretcher at Ginkgo Petrified Forest would be welcome.
- Hiking trails at Logan Pass & Many Glacier, Two Medicine, Goat Haunt, St Mary Valley & Lake McDonald Valley
- Eating & accommodation within Glacier National Park
- Hiking opportunities around Bozeman
- Food & drinks – Bozeman Brewing Company, Bridger Brewing, Montana Ale Works, Bar3 Bar-B-Q, Bozeman Spirits Distillery & Copper Whiskey Bar & Grill
- Museum of the Rockies – $14.50 – open till 8pm
Yellowstone National Park (2nghts)
No way I could come this close without visiting one of the most amazing places on Earth!
- Love some hiking in the area!!
The Dalles (1nhgt)
About 11hrs & 700miles from Yellowstone, I’ll find somewhere to stay overnight…
- Mt St Helens – perhaps it is due for an eruption but I’m looking forward to revisiting this volcano, with it’s wonderful, winding drive upwards…
Continue on back to Seattel from Mt St Helens – see above for Seattle ideas! 🙂